Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Reaching New Heights

There are many cliches I could have used as my title, but I had to narrow it down. I made it through day two in my new position on my new magazine. Yesterday I met with the editorial director at her house to get me acquainted with how everything works. Then today I was on my own, trying to figure out the quirks of posting content on the web. So far so good. The worst part of any job is the learning curve, and it's always nice to get to the point where you feel comfortable and like you have some sort of idea what you're doing. I'm definitely in the learning stages, but I like it so far and soon I'll be an expert on lifting equipment!

Working in a home office is quite different than working in an actual office building. First of all, my desk needs some serious rearranging and cleaning. Nobody's around to impress, so we don't try to keep it clean. We'll be in moving mode here pretty quickly, so I anticipate it'll be messy until we get settled in California. My coworkers are a totally different species and kiss me all day long:



Another difference: You end up working more than necessary. I think I'm still in the early stages of proving myself, of course, but I feel like I need to tell someone what time I was in, that I worked through lunch, only took breaks to take Marti out, and worked an extra hour in the day. (As I write this, my assistant pug is sitting on my lap, with her chin resting on my hands)

My view is also quite different. This is what I look at as I sit at my computer:

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So you're making out with your assistant? sick! lol.

Glad the job is going well. :) Before you know it you'll be a pro and finishing your work in record time!