Monday, April 23, 2007

Corky the Yorky

Anyone who has ever lost a dog knows how truly devastating it can be. The most faithful companions, they greet you with a smile every time you walk in the door, give you kisses to make you feel better, and even know how to cheer you up when you’re down in the dumps. Their sole job in life is to love you, and there is nothing they’d rather do than follow you around at your feet or curl up next to you on the couch. It’s no wonder then, that when they die, you truly feel as though you’ve lost your best friend.

Corky, my grandma’s Yorkshire Terrier, died this morning after a long, full life at 17 years old. It’s been sad knowing that her time was drawing to an end, and it’s hit me hard and no wonder: Corky has been around since before I was in 5th grade. My grandparents got her in 1990, and she’s been a part of the family ever since. I remember my mom called me a couple of years ago, saying that Corky had to be put down. I started crying as I was driving in the car. All for nothing: Come to find out, the Corkster got a cortisone shot and was hanging in there again. Turns out she had a few more years in her after all.

I remember her jingling collar, the slippers she was allowed to chew up and how my grandpa used to put her in the pocket of his coat with her head sticking out. I remember the hilarious story of how once there was a mouse in the laundry room and my grandma left for work, telling Corky to make sure not to let it out. Sure enough, Corky obeyed, as she always did. When my grandma got home from work, Corky had captured and destroyed the mouse. When my grandma would go out of town, we would watch her. I know that Corky the Condo girl just didn’t understand the heathens at the Chapman household. So noisy. No sidewalks. As if!

Marti, in her early puppyhood, got to meet Corky. Although she couldn’t see or hear very well, Corky definitely knew Marti was there saying hello. Either that or she knew she was in the midst of a tornado and was just waiting for it to pass.

I’ve lost pets in the past, and it is always difficult. But now, having Marti as our own little dog, and my companion as Alan works long nights, I can truly understand the friendship they provide. You can’t easily move on after nearly two decades of friendship. Thankfully, in those many, many years, our little beloved furry friends give us many, many memories to look back on.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry...they really do become a part of our families and it's really hard getting used to life without them. :(