Friday, April 13, 2007

The End of an Era

Since I've kept everyone up to date on the major (ok, and not-so-major) events of the past few months, I would be remiss not to blog about my last day of work. My last Lawrence to OP commute, my final torturous journey up the stairs to the fourth floor, my final timesheet to turn in. Even though I'm more than ready to move on (mostly because my replacement has been on the job for a long while), I'm still nostalgic and strangely sentimental about this place where I've spent 37.5 hours a week and all the crazy people that I've come to know or know of along the way.

I will miss:
The RER team. They've been great to work with and make work more fun. I know I'll keep in touch for years to come. I'll have to call Brandey now to recap The Bachelor.

Jenn! Of course. No more stream of consciousness chats during the ride to and fro; no more early morning water breaks. No one to force me to take the stairs...or agree that we're just too tired to do it. No more "married couple" lunches, where we sit and read magazines in the cafeteria. No more trips to QT. I know the friendship will last forever (Breaking into song: "And friends are friends forever...."), but it is sad to see our day to day work fun come to an end.

Jack Stack. Sigh. It's so close we can smell it from work. We're going there today in fact to send me off in KC style. I will also miss Noodles & Co. and Maui Express.

I will even miss the folks who just give me good things to rant about, and of course, I'll miss coming up with nicknames for them: Swiss Miss, Crazy 1, Crazy 2, Little Wrists, Australia, Rad, Jr, Kia, JC, the printer nazi, Eggs & Veggies, Nerd Herd, Stoup, SSS, Violent Cougher.

But the end doesn't come without its "will not miss list."

I will not miss:
The commute, the aheming and incessant throat clearing, hearing the name "Ashok," the loud talking, the violent coughing, getting run into with no apologies, the awkward phone goodbyes and conversations, the smelly bathroom.

Fairwell, old job, fairwell.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

It IS the end of an era. Except I'm still living in it. Sad! lol.

However, I'd like to thank the big man upstairs for a few things that will help us remain as the two peas in a pod that we truly are: instant messager, e-mail, Zumba (although we won't always get to go together, I'll always imagine you there next to me attempting to shake your hips), ML and LL, Web cams, and YOU!

HH_Stl_Chi said...

Erin ... I am looking back on your old posts as I get ready to tackle my NEW job! And I couldn't help but laugh out loud at this particular submission.
All the comments about aheming and violent coughing----- that was my life when I worked as asst. editor on BE. EW!! I don't miss her coughing at all!

ha ha ha :-) Thanks for the laughs and encouragement as I leave this company, too!