Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm the saddest pug ever, and my name is Lampshade



Poor little Martikins. Her allergy demons have struck again, and she's been licking and biting at her itchy little belly to the point where it's quite sore (it looks really sore anyways). Trying to protect her from herself, Alan and I went out to the pet store to buy her one of those crazy looking collars.

We put it on her last night, after a long struggle, and she did not know what to think or do; she was just plain scared. It's only slightly funny, and mostly just sad, because although we followed all the rules we read in dog books from the get-go, Marti has always been a fraidy-dog. She hears loud noises and jumps, the wind blows and she startles. We put on her little lampshade and she stood there. Unmoving. Then took a few tentative steps and stopped moving. I could see her thinking, "Why is this following me? Maybe if I stand perfectly still I can escape."

This morning though, I learned the meaning of "tough love" because while I know it's best for Marti, this collar has been very tough on both of us. She's visibly sad and can't do any of her normal activities properly. See, three visible toys, and one unhappy Marti:




She refused to go to the bathroom this morning, but as soon as I took the helmet off, she went straight away. I managed to get her hat back on by myself, and then removed it again thinking she'd be fine, only to have her attack her stomach with unflagging fervor. Sadly, the helmet is a necessity until her new drugs kick in and she allows herself to heal.

2 comments:

Ma W said...

This is just about more than a grandmother can stand. I have never seen such a dejected looking little face, but it is good that you are hanging tough. I'm glad you like your new job. We have to get everyone together and celebrate.

Jenn said...

Sad, sad, sad! Ooooh...that is too much. Not nearly as cute or amusing as I once thought. Maybe she'll get used to it? Or learn not to lick her belly? Of course, I can't learn to stop itching my legs no matter how terrible they look afterwards. lol. Good thing they don't make lampshades for humans!!!