Friday, September 4, 2009

Moving on...again

Our time in California is winding down. The movers came yesterday and packed up our apartment, so we've got three more nights' sleep on an air mattress until we move out of here. Bless those movers. They come in and pack and load everything, down to the paper towels I had set aside to do the final cleanup. We even had a separate company to pack for our massive flat-screen TV. How precious is that?



Funny story about the movers. Super nice guys; one of them shared our last name, which doesn't happen often. They were down packing our storage unit, and I noticed that the microwave that had been sitting in the common laundry room had been moved out into the garage next to our storage unit. I made sure they knew it wasn't ours, and in doing so said that it had been sitting in the laundry room for months and I had no idea what was going on with it or why it had been moved. So hours later, after our storage unit had been emptied, I noticed that the microwave had gone missing. I asked about it and Shared-Last-Name was like, "Yeah, I took it. You said it had been in the laundry room forever and I have a buddy who needs a microwave."

Um....Ok? I'm all for someone taking something and getting use out of it, but WHO DOES THAT!? Plus, if the microwave was moved from the laundry room, someone obviously moved it...and maybe it belongs to that somebody? Oh, movers. You crack me up.

It seems like just yesterday that Alan and I packed up and headed out to California. Now, we're sitting in a near-empty apartment on an air mattress, getting ready for another long haul. We leave on Sunday. And while I'm really excited to move out and move on, there is a part of me that's a little heartbroken about leaving the West Coast. We've had so much fun out here and so many adventures. It's just sad to close a door, even if another equally exciting and adventure-filled journey lies just down the road. Or way, way across the country.

I'm trying not to be too sad, though. Sure, I'll miss the beautiful weather (although there are those hot spells) and the strawberries the size of my hand.


But honestly, as much as I love California, as long as this guy's with me, I'm home no matter where I am.

1 comment:

Tish said...

you guys really are the sweetest i tell ya...

isn't it great being young and open to change?! i can't wait to hear about the new adventures waiting for you on the other side of the country!