Friday, September 4, 2009

Surfin' Safari

My former boss told me that one of the greatest places to visit in Northern California is Elkhorn Slough, an estuary/nature reserve close to Monterey. It had been on my to-do list for two years, but Alan and I finally got down there earlier this summer and it did not disappoint. It's basically a salt marsh along the coastline that is home to lots of wildlife—sea otters, seals, sea lions, and birds.


I think there are trails to walk, but we rented a kayak for a few hours and that was really the way to go. Besides getting to see Safari Alan...

...we got to get up close and personal with all of the animals. You're supposed to give the wildlife a wide berth, but it is nearly impossible to stay far away from them. The sea lions and seals can pop up in the water right in front of you at any moment. At times it felt like Jaws.



We even saw a sea otter battling with a crab. You can see the crab in this photo sticking out of the water. It was a fight to the death; I'm sure the sea otter came out on top.

After a few hours of nature, we navigated our way back through the slough, Alan with a blister and me, jeans wet from the waist down. Note: Water "skirts" only serve to prevent water seepage when they don't have holes in them. Note No. 2: Following suggestions from the kayak rental facility can save the day when you have the extra clothes you need after a kayaking trip. Good thing I follow directions.

No comments: