Friday, September 4, 2009

Mighty Yosemite

In our last few weeks in California, Alan and I have been busy trying to cram in a few things we'd wanted to do while we were out here. We knew it would be a travesty if we didn't make it to Yosemite, so a few weeks ago we drove up on a Saturday and did a much-too-short whirlwind tour of the park. Honestly, it's a travesty that it took us this long to get there. I would have loved to have been able to go a few times and go on some of the hikes that I'm sure are amazing. As it was, we got to look at a lot of great scenery, but we didn't have the time to explore the zillion hiking trails there.

We did arrive at about dusk on a Saturday, though, and were able to hit a grove of sequoias that had a short hike to a tree called the Grizzly Giant. Even at dusk it took your breath away (and that's not just because we were literally out of breath after having to sprint to the end of the hike because of the darkness). You can't even fathom how huge and amazing these trees are until you're up close and personal, but this picture of an uprooted fallen sequoia might give you a good idea of how awesome they are:


That picture needs no explanation because it is just CRAZY.

Even Marti came out to enjoy nature at its finest. I'm wearing my glasses because they're not kidding when they say that hydrogen peroxide contact lens cleaner "only works with provided contact case" and that it will burn like hell if it touches your eyes. I was later able to throw my contacts in after major rinsing with saline, but it was a scarring experience. Almost literally.


Alan winks with Half Dome in the background.


The views at every stop are amazing. This is a view down into the valley; you can see one of the waterfalls.

Yosemite was so awe-inspiring that I think if I had another month out here I'd be able to convince Alan to go camping in the park. Alan. Camping. I told you it was an amazing place.

No comments: