Friday, February 1, 2008

The occasional downside

As much as I love California, there is occasionally a downside. For example, while winter isn't the 15-degree days of snow and ice we experienced in Kansas, winter in Northern California is cold. And it rains. Buckets. I think we went three or four months after our move without seeing a single drop of California rain. It was a little shocking to have continuously sunny days and no rain or variation in the weather. Well, winter more than makes up for it. I think is has rained probably about 30 of the last 35 days. It wouldn't be so bad except for a) it gets kind of depressing and b) I have a dog I have to take out and we get wet and she gets crazy c) the dog park is seriously off limits because it's a swamp and I've ruined shoes and jeans going over there in my optimism.

In other "downside" news, on Tuesday a gasoline tanker overturned on Highway 101, the major north-south highway just to our east. The highway closed in both directions, during rush hour, until after 10 o'clock that night. Because it happened within just a few miles of here, traffic trying to find alternate routes was pouring onto side streets, causing major bumper-to-bumper problems. People having to get home had to take El Camino Real (a busy thoroughfare on a normal day) or get to a highway to the west--both of which require congesting side streets. I've never seen anything like it. I left to go pick up Alan at 5:52 and didn't arrive to pick him up until 6:32. A 40-minute drive to go 2.8 miles. It then took us another 15 minutes to get to the Stanford Shopping Center, which on a normal day would take about a minute. We stopped to get some food, hoping that the mess would clear up a bit by the time we finished eating. There were tons of other diners in the same boat who had stopped for sustenance, fearing they wouldn't be able to make it home before starving to death.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Goodness that's a sucky commute. Still don't think it tops some of our white-knuckled trips home on K-10 though. The other day when it was snowing, I thought of us cracking up to the "white as snow" line in that Red Hot Chili Peppers' song while we were stuck in the white, white snow on Metcal. Had a bit of nostalgia.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, did you just complain about the cold and snowy winters in KANSAS??? That's so far south it was almost in the confederacy, for pete's sake.

elizabethjune said...

Dude, I don't know if this person mocking the fact that Kansas is f'ing old has actually lived there, but I grew up in Arkansas (the actual South and in the Confederacy--which by the by are not mutually inclusive... South and Confederacy are two different distinctions, one geographical/oftimes cultural and one political/economic... there were slave states that weren't in the south...See the Kansas Nebraska Act for a little history... anywho...) and I went to college in Missouri and we had way cold winters with lots of nasty ice and snow. I live "up north" now in DC and I haven't had one blissful day of winter. I swear, it's like a breeze here. And when it does snow, say three inches, all hell breaks loose and they shut down the Feds and the schools. I walked to school at Mizzou in at least a foot and half of snow before...

So Erin, I get your point cause I was literally just complaining about how I miss winter on my blog.

And sorry for the history lesson jsyverson. I cannot claim it is either accurate or truthful, just pointing out that the South gets snow too. It's not LA for Christ's sake. :)

elizabethjune said...

f'ing cold, not old... though I wonder what the elderly population ration is in Kansas compared to other states? Is Kansas old?

Mr. Joel said...

Did you know that feline AIDS is the #1 killer of cats? This blog was Debbie Downer to the max, thinking of my man-husband shivering in the rain. I want sunshine and leaping pugs, chemistry mockery and ski pictures (or at least something that inspires me to buy machinery).
p.s. Do you hyphenate man-husband? It´s not in my dictionary so I can´t verify.

Erin said...

Man-husband is definitely hyphenated, and I will try to perk up my next blog. The sunshine is back in CA, so hopefully my good cheer will return.