Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Plight of the Squirrel

We all know that not every dead raccoon or opossum ends up as road kill. But that leaves the thinking man to wonder: What happens to those animals that die of natural causes? I've never seen a bird fall out of the sky to its death. I've never seen a mouse hobble along until it came to rest in the middle of a field. However, it's official: I have seen a squirrel end up in his final resting place on top of a bush.


It's not the best of pictures, I realize, but I didn't want to gross out my readers, also known as, I didn't want to get too close to the guy. The poor thing must have been in this tree when he met his maker and came crashing down.


I knew immediately when the little guy "landed" because Marti became quite interested in trying to stand on her hind legs to peer up at the bush. Now that it's been there for two months, the novelty has worn off and Marti is no longer interested. Luckily, the bush is above eye level, so I can only see that there is some sort of fuzziness resting atop the bush. I'm just waiting for the tree trimmers to come around one day and get a very dead surprise.

4 comments:

Tish said...

ew lol...

Ma W said...

Wow! What is happening in the squirrel world? About 2 weeks ago, I looked out the back door and a dead squirrel lay next to the bird feeder. I suspected foul play, namely your FIL; however, he tearfully assured me that he was innocent and promptly provided a dignified Christian burial

Anonymous said...

When I read your blob about the dead squirrel I was deeply moved.
Most people don't stop to think how hard a life a squirrel has in the city. It's not an easy life at all! Then to find where one has passed on is very moving!! What csuesd the death, murder, BB gun, old age!! I hope your next blob comments won't be so disturbing.

T.O.M.

Jenn said...

Oh my goodness. That's sick and fascinating at the same time. Excellent photo journalism skills...you have to show respect for the dead.