Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Puppies and Babies, Oh My!

It’s definitely not fair to call Kenny a baby anymore because he is definitely in the Big Boy category these days. Yesterday I had the good fortune to be able to baby sit for him during the day, which was a blast. As long as he’s got Thomas the Train, he is good to go for hours. He’s now at the stage where he’ll quietly play with his trains, moving them along, but then they have to have the big CRASH. He played with our alphabet refrigerator magnets, lined them up perfectly, and then knocked them all off with a big CRASH. It seems that everything ends with a big crash. Or at least with a big “All done!” when we finished with a book.

Marti, of course, was super excited to have a little friend over for the day. Kenny at first was not so excited about her. She’s a little over zealous for his taste, and she wanted to be involved in everything from his trains (“No no!”) to his juice (“No Mar-ee”). This little pug doesn’t take no for an answer.



When nap time came, I wanted him to sleep with the door cracked so I could peak in on him every now and then. I tried to put Marti in her cage so I could keep the door open, but the nap-time crying made her nervous and she was barking and clawing at the cage. So I put a kitchen chair up against the door to keep Marti away. After he stopped crying, I came in and settled down at the computer. Not a minute later, I heard the door creaking open. MARTI! I run in to try to wrangle her as quietly as possible, but wasn’t able to catch her before she managed to jump onto the bed and wake him up. The crying began, but then ended about 5 seconds later as he passed back out. Phew!

So, I had to build the Kenny Barricade for the remainder of his nap. You laugh, but trust me, the chairs alone are not enough to keep a determined pug out.



She even tried to get past all of this nonsense. The moment before this photo was snapped she had her face through one of the pillows and had her pug tail sticking up in the air.



But after nap time it was all fun again, as we watched Thomas and Friends for the fifth time (I now understand the “Continuous Play” feature on the DVDs), read his Thomas books, and even found the Thomas and Friends website. He even warmed up to Marti by the end of the day and helped me play tug of war with her, and threw her toys for her to fetch.

I know I had fun. I wonder if Kenny enjoyed it?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Head exploding with cuteness.

The Marti photos and the shot of Kenny is great.

With those barricading skills, I bet you were quite the fort builder as a kid!