Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Full Nest

My mom is the greatest. She went from having a peaceful, clean house to having it invaded by Alan, Marti, me and EVERYTHING we own. All of our possessions have taken over the garage, and we have our more immediate necessities (luggage, toiletries, computers, clothes) taking over the rest of the house.

My workspace is a mess, mostly because we have a ginormous computer and we’re taking over the desk space with it and piles of my work junk. I didn’t put much effort into setting myself up very well because we’ll just be tearing it down and heading out soon anyways. I’m sure I can get through two more workdays in this mess:



If you look closely at the screen on the left you can see that I have my mom's monitor pulled up to the panda cam. I am truly so busy at my new job that I don't have time to hassle with the cam like I used to, but I figured while I had two screens available I might as well get my Mei Lan fix.

We moved out of our apartment on Saturday, and because Alan has a few more days of work to finish up at KU, we’re hanging out in Topeka for about a week. A good part is that when we drive out on Monday, our drive is about 30 minutes shorter than it would have been had we left from Lawrence! Although…doesn’t make much of a difference considering we’ll be driving for 24 hours.

We’ve been really busy over the last week though, which I think is a nice distraction from the chaos and the impending goodbyes we have coming. We celebrated all weekend after Alan defended his dissertation and officially became Dr. Whitehead (which truly deserves a blog of its own, but he’d be embarrassed). And so far this week we’ve been driving all over the place, hanging out with friends and family, trying to squeeze more time in. I’m looking forward to celebrating my brother’s birthday tonight in Topeka and not having to drive anywhere.

No comments: