Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You Spin Me Right Round

Last weekend I went downstairs to move a blanket from the washer to the dryer. And although the cycle had finished, the blanket was still soaking wet. I tried to run a spin cycle, to no avail. And of course it was also raining cats and dogs, so hanging the blanket out to dry was out of the question. I called Alan to the rescue, and he helped me ring out what is apparently the most absorbent blanket on the planet, so that the dryer would have a prayer of getting it dry in less than five hours.

The blanket was really heavy, so I thought maybe it was just a fluke, the washing machine hated the blanket and wanted to throw a hissy fit. So I tried another load, this one with just two hand towels. Same problem. Fills up, agitates, no spinning action to drain properly. I call the GE repair man and out he comes to check out the washing machine, which we bought from the homeowners—out of pocket—just over two months ago.

The very nice GE guy shows up and cannot replicate the problem. Spinning action like crazy! Hands me nearly dried hand towels as proof. So I pay the man his fee. Sucky, but less than it would have cost had we run out to buy a new washer and dryer. (Which I so wanted to do! But, no job! Baby on the way! No unnecessary washer and dryer purchases!) And lo and behold, I've done laundry all day since he left and it's been FINE. Figures. Now I'm the girl who cried, "Washer won't spin!"

So after that aggravation, I go on about my day and prepare to go to the grocery store. Side note: One of the things I love about unemployment is going to the grocery store during the weekday. Out here, this is a major deal. On the weekends, grocery store parking lots fill up to capacity, there is no room to maneuver in the store, SO MANY PEOPLE...it basically makes an already miserable chore miserabler. But during the week? Peace. Space. Personal attention from the produce manager when you can't find the tofu. Awesomeness. So I go to leave and the car won't start. Gah! The world is against me!

But, as is the name of the blog, I have to look on the sunny side for the day. Bright spot: I went to the dentist after a three-year dental strike (I know I'm a terrible human) and I'm basically told my teeth rock, thankyouverymuch. He told me to floss more, sure, but I'm convinced that no amount of flossing would get them to refrain from giving that sage advice.

Other bright spot: I went to make cupcakes and noticed I appeared to be short on baking cups. Gah! World against me! Again! Because, you see, Alan only eats cupcakes. So, even though it's the same cake mix? It must be in cupcake form.* But I decide to count out the baking cups, just in case there are enough. And guess how many there were? A perfect 24, the exact amount needed. The cupcake stars aligned. A minor victory, but today, I'll take it.**


*I don't even notice the weird things I do for my dear lovable husband anymore...it's all just my normal routine now. I could have just made a cake. But then I'd have to eat it all myself, so it's worth it to myself and my waistline to make the cupcakes.

**It's not lost on me that the dentist tells me my teeth rock, and I make cupcakes. Sugar! Good for teeth!

No comments: