Tuesday, March 23, 2010

End of Day Deadline

I never thought unemployment would keep me so busy. In the past, when I thought of the Unemployed State of Being, I pictured people sleeping in, watching TV, scratching their rears and generally being lazy. But in real life, or at least in my unemployed state of being, I'm keeping pretty busy. While there is sleeping in, there is no watching TV. And unfortunately there are no bon-bon induced stupors. Sure, I was busier when I was working two jobs, but I'm content now that I just have the one.

After Alan heads off to work in the mornings, I guiltily and lazily sleep in another couple of hours. I go to bed at the same time he does, but I guess my baby-baking body is demanding more sleep. And who am I to argue with a 4-inch fetus?

When I get up, I head to the computer. Old habits die hard, and I can't seem to start a day without checking the email. So I put in a few hours of work and resume-sending while I munch on breakfast. Then I eat lunch and do some more work. Then I might pick up around the house, do a little laundry, or get groceries.

But there comes the point in my day where I feel like I must have something to show for my day. Proof. To Alan. That I did something. Because although he knows they're there, he doesn't see my hours of work, writing and editing for FBG. He instead sees the still-messy dining room, disaster area that is the living room, unpacked boxes of clothes and the unmade bed, and probably wonders what I do with my time. Progress this week has been hindered by the unstartable car, which means that I haven't been able to get groceries or drop stuff off at the dry cleaners.

Alan is no slave driver, of course. And he jokingly makes comments about the unpacked clothes. But one of these days he's going to put his foot down. Demand that I start making the bed or put away the copious amounts of paperwork that are piled by the filing cabinet. Tall orders. Maybe making this public will help me get my rear in gear and finish some unfinished business. After all, it is that time of day. Time to get stuff accomplished. Time to show Alan I did something other than finishing off the last of the pizza.

1 comment:

Mr. Joel said...

I lived with Al for a pretty long time, and I think you've got a mighty long rope on not cleaning.