Friday, January 26, 2007

Filet Side Down

I saw a disturbing sight on the way home from work yesterday in a pasture off K-10. On Wednesday, Jenn had looked over and commented/exclaimed that there were cute baby cows with matted hair/fur in the field. So yesterday, I happened to remember right as we were passing and looked over to see the little things. Instead of cute little cows, however, I was struck by the sight of an adult cow lying down. Unmoving. With a stiff leg in the air at an odd angle. And its head against the ground with its neck bent in a way that I have never seen a cow's neck bent. We both realize the cow's unfortunate state at the same time, and although I think I blacked out, I'm pretty sure I said something like, "Oh my gosh, that cow is dead! You never see dead cows! Why are cows dying before they have the opportunity to become food???" Both Jenn and I were aghast, me, I think, a bit more than Jenn, and because we didn't know what else to do or say, we just drove on, alternating between shock and hysterical laughter at the whole situation. It really bothered me though, and Jenn was stuck trying convince me that the cow lived a long, happy life the whole way home. I mean, seeing a crazy racoon on the side of the road, in full-out rigor mortis with its arms straight up in the air is one thing. But a poor cow? That's just wrong. I eat meat, but I don't want to see my cows dead in a field in the cold.

This also led me to wonder about birds and where they die. Because I'm pretty sure they don't just fall out of the sky. If anyone knows, please comment or e-mail.

Oh, and if you hear about a mad cow disease outbreak, just remember, you heard it here first.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

"Well done"! Har har!

I really wish we had a picture here...it really is hard for others to know how ridiculous, awful and hilarious the situation was all at once.

I hope today they've at least moo-ved him. Har har, again!

Ma W said...

I cannot speak for how all birds meet that great eagle in the sky, but I do remember this little verse from my distant childhood. "Today is Spring. How do I know? I saw a robin lying dead in the snow." Could be an unfortunately apt verse with this winter. Don't forget to feed your feathered friends.

Ma W.