Friday, December 17, 2010

The Canine Burrow of Infiltration

Marti has always liked to be in the middle of the action. Pre-Avery, when I was working full-time from home, there were days she would drive me to my wit's end because she would sit next to me and scratch me any time she was not the center of my attention. Which was often, because I was working. So, we're talking entire workdays of scratching.

I was never worried about how Marti would react to the baby. But I did wonder how she would do when she wasn't the center of attention any more. Because the scratching? I couldn't deal with every time my attention was diverted to the baby.

The only problem we've had since Avery was born, really, has been that she so desperately wants to be with her humans that it borders on ridiculous. And being close isn't enough. Must be ontopofyoualwaysandforever.

For instance, I was in the kitchen recently, and Avery was in her bouncer in the living room. I heard an "Eeep! Eeep!" from Avery. So I sprinted to the living room. Lo and behold, Marti is IN THE BOUNCER with Avery. Marti was sitting there like, "What's up? Why is she 'eeping'?" And Little Miss Aves is like, "Something is amiss! A dog is on my legs! A dog is on my legs!"

Did a sharp scolding keep her out of the bouncer for good? No. But at least there is no baby this time.



Marti has this amazing talent of finding the most comfortable spot in the house. We come home to find her on the back of couch cushions or in our bed. Never on the floor. No way. Here she used the Boppy to build a Fort of Cozy.



If there are humans to snuggle with though? Even better. Baby pits? Best.



And if I'm wearing a robe? Well, Marti considers it a custom, closer-to-mom blanket for herself.



As much as Marti loves me, I think Aves is her new favorite person. She babysits. For free.



She tries to sneak in smooches.



She brings offerings. This ball was brand-new and she was willing to share.



Nothing will deter Marti from getting involved. There's no room? She'll squeeze in. Breastfeeding? Avery makes a perfect chair!



For Marti, adding Avery to the family just means one more person to love.

2 comments:

Tish said...

oh my gosh i love that dog! lol marti...sigh.

great post...ya'll are missed.

Anonymous said...

Toooo cute. I think my favorite one was with you breastfeeding! OMG. And it's funny because as I read this, Mildred is driving me absolutely insane! :) - nik