Monday, July 30, 2007

The Giants...and Giant Beers

I'm a little behind on blogging; Alan and I attended this Giants game when Barry Bonds was only at 750 home runs. But better late than never! Back in those days, Alan still had his freedom from the daily grind, and we had the time for fun activities. Now "we're" in the thralls of grant-submission time, so Alan's a little busier. Like 90 hours a week busier, and that's no lie. But, once upon a time, we headed up to San Francisco on a weekend to go to a Giants game. The Caltrain allows alcoholic beverages on board, I mean, they practically advertise the fact, so who were we not to take advantage? Here, Alan with a 40, and me, with a mere 32, faking that I have a 40.





When we got to AT&T Park, we were walking by an ATM and happened upon the ONE person in the entire region that we knew. Alan fake-demanded all of his money, and Joe, thinking we were the guy he was meeting, barely flinched. When he finally did look up and realize it was Alan, a joyous reunion was had by all. Enhanced, I think, by Alan and me being a little tipsy. You would have thought he was our long-lost best friend from first grade. We were so excited to see a familiar face! Yay for Joe!

The park is very cool. Here, the outfield.



Here's Barry Bonds up to bat.



While Double B didn't hit a home run this game (he was thisclose to one though), people are always out in the bay, anticipating the homer.



Now, I know how cold it was in the stadium, so I can only imagine how cold it is on the water, without people or walls blocking the wind. If you EVER go to a game in SF, no matter how warm it feels, no matter if it's the middle of July, bring your winter coat. I had on two hooded sweatshirts, and that was not enough. Alan froze in his long sleeves. You've been warned.




We were very glad we'd had those beers on the train, because beer at the park of course cost a fortune. We did load up on hot dogs and fries loaded up with more garlic than I've ever seen in a single paper tray.



Although we didn't see any home runs, we did have a great time at the game. We headed back on our friend the Caltrain, and I proceeded to take a picture of the moon when we got home.



This picture serves as a reminder to me that, no matter how pretty a moon, sunset, or sunrise, pictures never do it justice, so just refrain.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Interesting that public transportation encourages people to drink. I guess that is one added benefit to commuting -- no DUIs possible! Hollywood should be all over it.