Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Too hot for the sea

Known as the "cow of the sea," the manatee has long been one of my favorite aquatic mammals. Wikipedia describes the herbivorous animal as "slow-moving, non-aggressive and generally curious." Alan and I got to see manatees in person on our honeymoon, and Alan, possibly illegally, got to pet one. They're just these big, floating, lettuce-eating, peaceful creatures. And now, thanks to Conan O'Brien, this "love machine" is the newest internet craze.

I was on The New York Times' website earlier today and couldn't pass up the headline "So This Manatee Walks Into the Internet." The short story is that a joke during a skit mentioned www.hornymanatee.com, which at the time was not a real website. To avoid any legal repercussions or responsibility for anything on the site, NBC bought the website and made it part of the joke. Some would say it's inappropriate; I would say it's hilarious.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I always knew manatees were freaky deaks...they look so innocent, but behind that facade lies one dirty, dirty mammal. I’m surprised they haven’t partnered up with dolphins and roamed the seas looking for naive humans to molest.