Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Viva Las Vegas, Vol. 1

While I may make jokes about working on an equipment magazine for a living, there is no question that there have been some surprising perks along the way. I've received random gifts in the mail, such as a bucket of Lincoln Logs that doubled as an invitation to a press conference. There was the random tomahawk hatchet that a company sent me that could be used in self defense if needed. But then there was the week-long trip to Europe, which, while there was a lot of equipment involved, still afforded me the only opportunity I've had to date to go across the pond. Five countries in seven days? It was awesome.

And then of course, I've had the opportunity to go to Las Vegas. Again. And again. And again. And again. I've already been to Sin City three times this year for trade shows. Up until this month, I'd only been to Vegas once for fun, and frankly associated the city so much with trade shows that I kind of hated the place. It's not fun to go to Vegas when you're only seeing your hotel, the walk to the convention center, and the trade show.

But then I got lucky.

One day I was setting off to talk to more equipment manufacturers when my publisher saw me walking by and stopped me.

"What are you doing today from 1 to 3?" he asked.
"I don't have any appointments, why?" I replied.
"Want to go on a helicopter ride?" he asked.
(Flashing headlines in my head: "Helicopter Crashes in Vegas Killing Sweet Girl on Board")
My reply: "Uh...I don't know if I can do that...I'll think about it!"

Turns out a company wanted to take him and some other media on a helicopter trip and he was too busy to go. He wanted us to be represented, so someone had to go. Of course I knew that I could not resist a) getting out of the trade show for a few hours and b) having the opportunity of a lifetime to go on a helicopter ride. Alan further emphasized this point and talked some sanity into me. Scared, I made up my mind to go.

Because I made it back safely, I can say that it was a great decision and one of the more amazing experiences I've had thus far. We flew over Lake Mead, the Hoover Dam, into the Grand Canyon, landed IN THE GRAND CANYON for a champagne picnic, then flew back home, hitting the Vegas Strip on the way back to the helipad.*

The view on our way out of town



Lake Mead


Hoover Dam


The Colorado River and the edge of the Grand Canyon



The Grand Canyon


"I can't believe I'm here."



On the way out of the canyon



It was such a surprisingly smooth ride, so if you ever get the opportunity to go on a helicopter ride, whether or not the Grand Canyon is involved, do it! It's a blast.

More Vegas adventure posts to come!

*I just wanted to say "helipad." I don't get to use that word much.

8 comments:

Alan said...

I want a helicopter ride now.

And perhaps I should look into what a "champagne picnic" consists of...

Quinn's Mom said...

You (insert insulting-word-that-you-can-only-call-your-girlfriend here)! I am TRES jeal! I can't even work my magic to get a hot air balloon ride! You really know how to Lift & Access!

Anonymous said...

Everyone should experience a helicopter ride!!! I would sale my first born son if I could take a helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon with the side doors open and the pilot is zig zagging.

Let me see Alan/helicopter ride...hum...

T.O.M.

Ma W said...

You go, girl! That sounds like a
"Dam" good time!

Tish said...

my stomach just dropped lookin' at the pictures lol...gulp

Jenn said...

That's freakin awesome! Quite the perk to a trade show.

(I've tried for the last five minutes to come up with some clever pun in regards to helicopter and "heli" cool or something like that, but it's just lame. So, I'm giving up. Plus, I can't top Alan's comment.)

Julie VanErem said...

Sounds fab! I'm quite jealous! And Lincoln Logs...lol! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I realize that I'm almost a full year behind, but holy canoli that is the best 1-3 work break EVER!!

Erika Buffalonian