Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Crazy cranes...and pilots

Because I work for a crane and lifting equipment magazine, I get daily Google alerts about cranes. Usually the alerts include links to news about endangered whooping cranes rather than anything that relates to my job. However, I still click on these articles now and then to see what's going on with the cranes. This article in particular struck me as funny.

To save you the read if you're short on time but in need of a laugh, this AP report talks about an ultralight plane being used to lead cranes on their migration from Wisconsin to Florida. The article then states that 17 cranes were raised in captivity by researchers in "crane-like" costumes to keep the birds from becoming familiar with humans. The funniest part of all: The ultralight pilot wears the same costumes when leading the cranes in flight on their journey.

No wonder these suckers are almost extinct. They're not the brightest "cranes" in the box.

No comments: