Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pasta?

There’s a restaurant in downtown Palo Alto called Pasta?

No, that’s not a question. That’s the name: Pasta?

Still looks like I’m asking a question, I realize. But I’m not the one who named the restaurant. Each time Alan and I walked by Pasta-question-mark we’d make jokes and ask each other the same question over and over, while raising our hands in a questioning manner: Pasta?

Pasta?’s name reminds me of that Head-On commercial that plays during Wheel of Fortune (yes, still watching). The group that is collectively watching the woman apply Head-On goes, “Apply directly to the forehead????” and the announcer goes, “Apply directly to the forehead!!” and then the group goes, “Apply directly to the forehead!!” as if they’ve had a Head-On epiphany. That may seem unrelated to Pasta? but my point is this: There is a place and time for punctuation (as an editor I know this) and sometimes unnecessary punctuation only serves to annoy.

We decided to try Pasta? after making fun of it so much. First of all, my ravioli tasted almost exactly like those Weight Watchers Smart Ones I eat for lunch. Which is fine when you’re paying $2.50 for a quick-and-easy low-cal lunch, but not fine when paying $10 and expecting restaurant quality. Alan’s fettucine alfredo was also unappetizing, and he insisted my version is better, which, hello, my fettucine alfredo is tasty so that’s no surprise. Now, when we see Pasta? we say “no-exclamation-point” and keep right on walking.

P.S. Just found a fantastic review on this place, another location, but the comments apply nevertheless: "Pasta? is aptly named. It's shorthand for so many questions that you might have: Is this stuff really pasta? Why did I eat here?" The reviewer also said he usually raises his middle finger when walking past the place. Looks like he says "Pasta? No!" as well.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

How very strange...how can they still be in business? And, yes, that Head On commercial is soooo strange. No way that stuff works. lol.


Funny blog? Yes!!!

Quinn's Mom said...

LOL! Who names a restaurant with a question mark? And that guy's review is hilarious! But at least you tried it, so now you don't have any more questions about it. (hahaha, bad pun intended!)