Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pugapeño Poppers

They say moms have eyes in the backs of their heads. It doesn’t matter that I’m only a pug mom. When you manage to keep a living being alive, and they depend on you for food, shelter, potty breaks and constant love, you feel some weird connection to that being and are able to predict that being’s EVERY MOVE.

So I was craving jalapeño poppers the other day. Have been for awhile now. And I can’t just pop out to the local Sonic because the local Sonic is 45 miles away. I remembered a recipe that I’d seen on Hungry Girl for some low-fat poppers and decided to make them so I could blog about them elsewhere, as well as kill my craving. So I make the poppers, sneezing and coughing the whole time because of the peppers, and sat down to eat a delicious meal of poppers and a southwest salad. As I sat down I remembered laundry was done, so I went downstairs to get the clothes out of the dryer.

As I re-entered the apartment I just KNEW. It was total mom-sense. I dropped the basket of laundry as I rounded the corner yelling, slow motion, “Maaaaarrrrtiiiii!” I would have felt silly had she not been getting into trouble, but alas, my instincts were right and she’d popped up on the chair to sneak a popper. She got thisclose because as she realized she was in big trouble and hopped down from the table, one of the poppers went flying across the table. Pug-popper contact had been made. See the wayward popper to the left.

Glad she didn’t manage to consume it. Nothing like a popper-puking pug to kill popper cravings forever.

3 comments:

Quinn's Mom said...

That is so the story of my life with Millie. So how were the poppers?

Jenn said...

So many popper references, so little time.

I heart Marti. You have to respect a pug that knows what she wants.

Julie VanErem said...

I miss our Sonic Popper & Lime-aide runs. What fun. I also miss our tornado sundae from McD's.